One of the most common problems you can face upon your project growth is the necessity to maintain multiple environments. This may be required for getting enough capacity (to serve all of the clients) or, e.g., for handling different app versions. In this situation you’ll most likely meet the problem of proper traffic distribution between such project copies, including number of aspects like setting proper method for requests routing, servers loading rates, etc. Solving all of these issues can become a challenge even for experienced developers.
So, in order to ease these problems’ resolution, Jelastic offers a completely free and easy-to-use solution, based on the automatically configured load balancer. It is delivered as a special Traffic Distributor add-on, which is available for quick one-click installation through Jelastic Marketplace and provides smart traffic routing based on your requirements.
With this solution you are able to set intelligent workloads balancing between pair of hosts and benefit on the following features and opportunities it provides:
- high availability and advanced failover - share the load among two copies of your application, which could be located on different hardware to achieve better failure protection
- Blue-Green (zero downtime) application deploy - redirect all incoming requests to a single backend for the time another one is undergoing the maintenance
- ongoing A/B testing - route the incoming traffic between two different application versions and compare their performance and UX rates to choose the best one for production
- intuitive UI - configuration form allows to set all the main parameters of your traffic distributor (either during its creation or consequent adjustment), including availability to choose among three different routing types to suit your needs the best: Round Robin, Sticky Sessions and Failover
- health check - both backends are automatically checked for a normal response (i.e. for returning 200 status code, which indicates that the request was fulfilled) according to the configurable parameters (frequency, timeout, etc.)
flexibility & extensibility - beside of the main distribution settings, available by means of add-on’s graphic interface, you are also able to apply any required additional tuning (e.g. to set up caching, TCP mapping, SNI, etc.) via NGINX configuration files manually - no limitations are applied