Share an Environment
A customer who originally created an environment becomes its Owner and can share it with other Users, specifying corresponding access rights for each of them.
Owners have full control over the environment.
Users can perform a wide range of actions within a shared environment: deploy applications, change configurations, read log files, view statistics, etc. The only exception, is that they cannot clone an environment.
Additionally, the Owner of the environment can permit a User to change its topology and to access it via SSH.
The charges for the environment are applied only to the Owner (the other users of the shared environment are not charged).
Jelastic environments can be shared with:
- registered Jelastic accounts
- unregistered emails which will be signed up automatically
Based on this division, the process of sharing can differ slightly. Let’s review the steps of the two sharing types.
Environment Sharing with a Registered Account
To share any of your environments with more Jelastic users and delegate them appropriate permissions, follow this instruction:
1. Open the environment’s Settings.
2. In the Account management section, add another Jelastic user account (Email) and tick the Change topology / SSH access option (in the case you would like to permit these activities for the specified user).
3. After clicking the Save button, this user will receive an email notification about environment sharing and can proceed to managing it.
Environment Sharing with an Unregistered Account
To share your environment with a user who is not registered with Jelastic, follow these steps:
1. Open the environment’s Settings.
2. In the Account management section, add the Email of the user that you want to share the environment with.
3. Click the Save button. Firstly, you will see this user in the list with custom triangle signs which means that the invitation was sent. Then, this user will disappear from the list, as technically the environment is not shared with him yet.
4. As a result, a user will get an email notification with an invitation to join your collaboration. When the invitation is confirmed, a user will be automatically registered and will receive an email notification with credentials to the Jelastic account. You will be informed about this confirmation via email.
Note: at this stage, the user is only registered and added to your collaboration, but no environments are shared yet. You will need to perform sharing steps one more time:
- Navigate to Settings > Account Management
- Add the same Email of a user
- State the permissions by ticking the Change topology/SSH access option
- Save the settings
A user will receive a notification about the shared environment.
Newly registered users will have trial status by default. As a result, the usual trial limitations set by the hosting provider will be applied, and a user will be deactivated after the trial period, unless the account is converted to a paid one.
Detailed info on your account limitations can be found at the Balance > Quotas & Pricing > Account Limits tab.
Note: that these quotas can be customized by the hosting provider, e.g. such users can be provided with an “eternal” trial period and, in exchange, forbidden to create their own environments. Such environment sharing can be also performed via the account collaboration setting (follow the link to get more details).
Manage a Shared Environment
To manage the environments shared by/with you, click the Settings button in the top right corner of Jelastic’s dashboard.
Navigate to the Account Management or Shared with Me option (depending on your requirements) and manage the desired settings.
if you are the owner of the environment
In the Account Management option, you can remove access to your environment for any user or limit the permissions by unticking the Change topology/SSH access option.
if you are the user of someone’s environment
In the Shared with Me option, you can decline from using the shared environment.
So now, you can work together with other members of your team on your cloud environment. Enjoy!