File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to transfer files from one host to another over a TCP-based network.
FTP is built on a client-server architecture and uses separate control and data connections between the client and the server.
For secure transmission that hides (encrypts) the username and password, and encrypts the content, it is used FTP secured with SSL (FTPS).
Jelastic supports both FTP and FTPS.
Unlike HTTP, the FTP protocol is stateful: you establish a control connection for the duration of an FTP session that typically spans multiple data transfers.
FTP usage in Jelastic:
- uploading/downloading resources;
- downloading and reading logs for analysing;
- editing configurations;
- syncing files;
- deploying applications (not recommended).
With Jelastic FTP feature is available for both application servers and databases.
Note: Currently, FTP add-on is not compatible with Docker containers.
To benefit from FTP with Jelastic you need to meet three requirements:
- to have FTP client installed (for example, FileZilla)
- to have compute node added to the environment
- to switch Public IP for the node in your environment
Let's go step-by-step the process of adding FTP to your Jelastic environment: