In order to ensure cost efficiency, all Jelastic-managed Java servers are automatically configured to utilize memory in the most beneficial way by adjusting the main Java memory parameters based on the amount of resources, allocated to a container.
Herewith, for a high performance or any other custom configurations, the default options can be manually changed.
1. In order to provide all the preferred Java options at once, the variables.conf file can be utilized.Depending on a particular application server you are working with, the exact location may vary:
- Tomcat, TomEE - /opt/tomcat/conf/variables.conf
- Jetty - /opt/jetty/etc/variables.conf
- Spring Boot - /opt/shared/conf/variables.conf
- GlassFish - /opt/glassfish/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/variables.conf
- Payara - /opt/payara/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/variables.conf
- WildFly - /opt/wildfly/conf/variables.conf
Tip: The most essential memory parameters (-Xms, -Xmn, -Xmx, -Xminf, -Xmaxf, -XX:MaxPermSize, -XX:+Use.*GC) can be redefined using the dedicated environment variables.As an example, you can Add the -Xmx option (i.e. maximum size for the Java heap memory):
That’s it! Now, your application is running with your custom Java options.