Environment transferring allows you to move any environment to another Jelastic account within the same platform (confirmation on both sides is required).
The feature can be beneficial in many cases. For example, if you need to:
- move all your projects to a new account, registered with a different email address
- transfer your work projects to another developer’s account in case of an employee leaving the company
- move a production-ready environment to the main company account from the personal testing one
- restore environments at the old deactivated account without its reactivation
Any environment (stopped/running) can be transferred from any account (including deactivated ones). However, a target account should meet the following requirements:
- type - can be of any type (beta, billing), except trial accounts
- status - should be active (i.e. not suspended or deactivated)
- quotas - should have sufficient quotas (limitations) to add the environment
For example, some quotas checked during the transfer: cloudlets per container, nodes per environment, environments on account, public IP / VPS / high-availability features (if they are enabled in the transferred environment), etc.
Also, in case of an error, you’ll see the corresponding notification directly at the dashboard:
No changes are applied to the environment after transferring. The new owner receives it in the same state, with the same applications deployed, and with the same custom configurations. All the consequent charges for the environment will be applied to the new owner as well.
Also, the transferred environment becomes unshared from all the users that had access to it.
Let’s see the process of transferring an environment.
1. Click the Settings button next to the required environment.
2. In the opened tab, navigate to the Change Owner section and enter the email address of a target user (potential new owner).
Click the Send Request button to proceed.
3. If the target account exists and meets all the requirements, you will see a notification that the request has been sent.
You can Cancel Request with the same-named button at any point (unless it is already confirmed).
4. The specified user will receive a request for an environment transfer with a confirmation URL via email.
5. When the target user confirms the transfer request (clicks a link from the email), the environment is removed from the initial user’s dashboard and appears for a new owner. Email notification about successful transfer will be sent to the initial owner.
It’s that simple! Using this feature, you can easily move environments from one account to another.