Transferring environments allows you to move any environment you own to another Jelastic account within one hosting provider.
It can be very useful in many cases, for example, if you need to:
- provide your customer with a preconfigured and production-ready application
- move all your projects to a new account, bound to another email address
- move your work projects to another developer’s account in case of an employee leaving the company
- move a production-ready environment to the main company account from the personal testing one
- access environments at the old deactivated account without its reactivation, etc
While transferring a target account, the following is checked in order to meet all requirements:
- existence of such registered account
An environment can be transferred from any type of account (trial, beta, billing) and even with deactivated status. At the same time, an environment can be moved only to a billing account registered at the same hosting provider.
You don’t need to activate your stopped environment in order to transfer it. The transferring settings are available for environments in all statuses.
In addition, the target account should not be limited by any of the following quotas in order to receive the transferred environment:
- maximum cloudlets number per container
- maximum number of compute nodes available for one environment
- maximum number of created environments
- ability to switch on Public IP, VDS or High-Availability (if they are enabled in the transferred environment)
In the case an environment transfer cannot be performed because target account faces some restrictions or user with such an email doesn’t exist, you’ll be shown a corresponding error at the dashboard.
After transferring, no changes are applied to the environment. Therefore, the new owner receives it in the same status and with all custom configurations and applications deployed. The transferred environment becomes unshared from all the users that had access to it. All of the charges on an environment’s resource consumption will be applied to the new owner’s account.
And now let’s see the process of transferring an environment, step by step.
1. Click Settings button next to the desired environment.
2. In the opened tab, navigate to the Change Owner section and enter the email address of a target user (potential new environment’s owner). Click Send Request button.
3. If a target account exists and meets all the requirements, you will see a notification that the request has been sent. The specified user will receive a request for an environment transfer with a confirmation URL via email.
4. While waiting for a new owner’s confirmation, the environment is marked with a custom icon at the initial owner’s dashboard.
5. In the case you would like to cancel a still unconfirmed transfer request you’ve initiated, navigate to the same Settings > Change Owner section and click Cancel Request button. Press Yes in the appeared confirmation window.
6. When target user confirms the transfer request, the environment is removed from the initial owner’s panel and appears at the dashboard of a new owner.
It’s that simple. Using this method, you can transfer your environments to the required accounts.